Thoracic Research and Practice
Original Article

Treatment Results for Soldiers With Tuberculosis in 2002


GATA Haydarpşa Eğitim Hastanesi, Göğüs Hastalıkları Servisi, İstanbul


GATA Haydarpaşa Eğitim Hastanesi, Göğüs Hastalıkları Servisi, İstanbul


GATA Göğüs Hastalıkları AD, Ankara


GATA Çamlıca Göğüs Hastalıkları Hastanesi, Göğüs Hastalıkları Servisi, İstanbul


GATA Çamlıca Göıüs Hastalıkları Hastanesi, Göğüs Hastalıkları Servisi, İstanbul

Thorac Res Pract 2004; 5: Toraks Dergisi 189-195
Read: 1037 Downloads: 483 Published: 18 July 2019


In this study, data was retrospectively researched for soldier new patients diagnosed with tuberculosis (TB) in GATA Çaml›ca Chest Diseases Hospital by 2002. Our hospital is the greatest TB treatment center in Turkish Army Forces (TAF). In TAF, 394 of 685 newly diagnosed TB patients (57.5%), 351 of 503 pulmonary TB (PTB) cases (69.8%), and 269 of 417 smear positive PTB patients (64.5%) were followed-up and treated with in our center in 2002. Three hundred fifty one of 394 TB patients (89.1%) had PTB. Other 43 cases (10.9%) were extrapulmonary TB (EPTB). Twenty three of 351 PTB patients had EPTB at the same time. Fifty four of total 66 EPTB cases (81.8%) were pleural TB, 12 patients (18.2%) had the other organs TB. The bacteriological examination were done for all PTB cases during the diagnosis phase. Smear positive and smear negative cases numbers were 269 (76.6%), 82 (23.7%), respectively. The patients followed for 12 months were evaluated for the treatment results. In smear positive 269 cases, treatment outcomes were classified as follows: 167 cases 3 (62.1%) were cured, 71 patients (26.4%) were treatment completed. Treatment success was managed in total 238 cases (88.5%). Nine of smear positive patients (3.3%) were treatment failure, 21 cases (7.8%) were transfer out and 1 (0.4%) was dead. Nine patients who had treatment failure took retreatment for 8 months. Eight of them (88.9%) were cured. Only one patient had multidrug resistant TB. Although the cure results in our center were behind the optimal levels, it is observed that we achieved the desirable levels if evaluated for treatment success.

EISSN 2979-9139