Thoracic Research and Practice
Original Article

The Year of 2003 Treatment Results of Soldier Patients with Tuberculosis in a Military Hospital Which Has Feature of the Referance

1.

GATA Haydarpaşa Eğitim Hastanesi (Çamlıca Yerleşkesi), Göğüs Hastalıkları Servisi, İstanbul, Türkiye

2.

Gülhane Askeri Tıp Akademisi Haydarpaşa Eğitim Hastanesi (Çamlıca Yerleşkesi), Göğüs Hastalıkları Servisi, İstanbul, Türkiye

3.

Gülhane Askeri Tıp Akademisi Haydarpaşa Eğitim Hastanesi (Çamlıca Yerleşkesi), Mikrobiyoloji Laboratuvarı, İstanbul, Türkiye

Thorac Res Pract 2006; 7: Toraks Dergisi 45-50
Read: 1197 Downloads: 996 Published: 18 July 2019

Abstract

To widely present a serial numbers of soldier cases with tuberculosis (TB) for the year of 2003 in Turkish Army Forces (TAF) accepted as a risky group and to compare with the other studies. In this study, data was retrospectively analyzed for soldier patients diagnosed with tuberculosis (TB) in our hospital by 2003. Microscopically examination was done in all cases. The proper treatment was begun in all patients and they were followed during next 6-12 months. At the end of that period, treatment results were assessed. 404 cases with TB were found by the year of 2003. 353 of these cases (87.4%) were pulmonary TB (PTB) and 51 of them were (12.6%) extra pulmonary TB (EPTB). Sixty nine of total 82 EPTB cases (84.1%) were pleural TB. Of 13 patients (15.9%) had the other organs TB. Smear positive and smear negative cases numbers were 245 (%69.4), 108 (%30.6) respectively. In smear positive 245 cases, treatment outcomes were classified as follows: 191 cases (78.0%) were cured, 26 patients (10.6%) were treatment completed. Treatment success was managed in total 217 cases (88.6%). Eight of smear positive patients (3.3%) were treatment failure, 19 cases (7.8%) were transfer out and 1 (0.4%) was dead. Total 9 patients who had treatment failure took retreatment for 8 months. Eight of them (88.9%) were cured. Our cure results in smear positive patients are close to the rate of 85% targeted by WHO. In addition, we have fairly satisfied level in treatment success.

Files
EISSN 2979-9139